An element or substance that is not a metal.
- Chemically, elements can be classified as metals, metalloids, or non-metals based, in part, upon these physical properties.
- Ionic bonds are most often formed between atoms of metals and atoms of non-metals.
- As a rough rule of thumb, metals are non-molecular, like iron, whereas non-metals are molecular.
- Example sentences
- Reactions of non-metallic elements to form covalent compounds are atom transfer reactions.
- The term is also sometimes used for compounds in which a nitrogen or other non-metallic atom of an organic group is directly bonded to a lithium atom.
- Carbon is by no means unique in this regard as most of the non-metallic elements are capable of forming chains.
Definition of non-metal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.