Definition of non-native in English:
1Not indigenous or native to a particular place.
- Originally, the act did not distinguish between native and non-native bird species.
- Large numbers of natives and non-native Canadians have been attending these meetings.
- Learn about the relationship between native yellow-legged frogs and non-native trout.
1.1Not having spoken the language in question from earliest childhood: native and non-native speakers alike
More example sentences
- The reason is that a non-native speaker who has learned the language after his childhood uses his lip and face muscles differently even if he sounds like a perfect native speaker.
- These findings have further implications for other language learners, namely, non-native speakers acquiring a second language.
- She had been studying the English language with a program designed to teach it to non-native speakers.
Definition of non-native in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan