Share this entry

Share this page

non-use

Line breaks: non-use
Pronunciation: /nɒnˈjuːs
 
/
(also non-usage)

Definition of non-use in English:

noun

[mass noun]
The refusal or failure to use something: considerations that determine the present non-use of these sophisticated weapons
More example sentences
  • It's very clear that non-use of contraception is the biggest factor in crisis pregnancy.
  • The results suggest that even after 30 years of non-use, residual vocabulary knowledge can be found.
  • But when my mom noticed that the book seemed to collect a lot of dust in my cabinet from non-use, she quit trying to add recipes to it.

Derivatives

non-user

1
noun
Example sentences
  • These are non-users who live in households that have Internet connections and in which other family members go online from home.
  • It was estimated that daily users of cannabis had rates of psychotic symptoms between 1.6 and 1.8 times higher than those of non-users.
  • 70 per cent of us in the UK already have one and the suspicion must be that the remaining 30 per cent are resolute non-users.

Definition of non-use in:

Share this entry

Share this page

 

What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?

Get more from Oxford Dictionaries

Subscribe to remove adverts and access premium resources

Word of the day prepotent
Pronunciation: prɪˈpəʊt(ə)nt
adjective
greater than others in power or influence