Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of noncontradiction in English:
A lack or absence of contradiction, especially as a principle of logic that a proposition and its opposite cannot both be true.
- The basic law of logic is the principle of non-contradiction, namely that it is contradictory to say that something can both be and not be at the same time.
- This universal form is, Hegel says, simply a principle of consistency or non-contradiction.
- Moreover, the instructional process imparts a religious vocabulary that religious people use in linguistic patterns that embody such logical principles as non-contradiction and the distinction between symbol and the symbolized.
- Example sentences
- Even our ‘official definitions’ can't seem to present non-contradictory information, and to address the issue without constantly keeping popular usage close at hand is silly.
- Whatever the problems and whatever means and methods are used to solve them, it is important that thinking should be straight, consistent, non-contradictory and conclusive - in a word, it should be logical.
- Lemma is an open-ended game the players create by making up non-contradictory rules and enacting examples of the rules on the board.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.