Definition of normoglycaemia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A normal concentration of sugar in the blood (as contrasted with hyper- or hypoglycaemia).
- The goal of intrapartum management is to maintain normoglycemia in an effort to prevent neonatal hypoglycemia.
- Beta cells may secrete high levels of insulin to normalize blood glucose levels and successfully maintain normoglycemia for many years.
- Alpha cells produce glucagon, which maintains normoglycemia through the processes of glycogenolysis (i.e., breakdown of glycogen) and gluconeogenesis (i.e., formation of glycogen from noncarbohydrates such as fats and proteins).
- normoglycaemic adjective
- Example sentences
- Once clinical cardiovascular disease develops, patients with type 2 diabetes have a poorer prognosis for survival than normoglycemic patients with cardiovascular disease.
- LDL cholesterol levels in patients with type 2 diabetes may be similar to those in normoglycemic patients, but the composition of the particles (smaller and denser) may make them more atherogenic.
- Women with impaired fasting glucose according to the previous definition, were about 40% more likely than normoglycaemic women to have a non-fatal heart attack or die from cardiovascular disease.
Definition of normoglycaemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.