- 1 [attributive] Situated in the north, or directed towards or facing the north: the northern slopes northern EuropeMore example sentences
- It was situated towards the northern end of the forest, a mile or so from the outskirts of the town of Lariat.
- My own experience with men on the street in northern India is direct.
- The road was widened and a roundabout installed on the northern end to direct traffic down to Finisklin.
- 1.1(Of a wind) blowing from the north: the cliff protects the bay from the northern windsMore example sentences
- A slightly chilly northern breeze was blowing but Jo had seen it wise to bring a jacket with him.
- I must have been shaking like a leaf in the northern wind for he took me tight in his arms, saying nothing.
- The northern wind caused her hair to stream behind her, a black river flowing from the back of her head.
- 2Living in or originating from the north: northern breeds of cattleMore example sentences
- It also persists most famously among that other northern breed, the Highland.
- His few surviving works mark him as the most original northern sculptor since Claus Sluter.
- Crucially they lacked the raw football bred into the county's northern teams.
- 2.1Relating to or characteristic of the north or its inhabitants: she had a broad northern accentMore example sentences
- Conor and Tiernan are intrigued to see Northern Ireland, or Norn Iron as they pronounce it, mimicking a northern accent.
- She speaks with a northern accent and claimed her home was in Co Antrim.
- I speak with a northern accent and sometimes even in dialect.
- More example sentences
- In 1978, a Danish aerial survey team found what they claimed was the northernmost land on earth, north of Greenland.
- We could clearly see the entire 27-mile long island, from it's northernmost point, Pigeon Island, to the airport at Vieux Fort.
- He and his co-pilot hope to set off from the northernmost point of the Arctic Cape Columbia, less than five hundred miles from the North Pole, on July 6.
More definitions of northernDefinition of northern in:
- The US English dictionary