Definition of notate in English:
Write (something, typically music) in notation: the recorded music can then be notated and played back
More example sentences
- I think that notated music is very undervalued right now, for all sorts of reasons.
- Although he died in 1994, he had been unable to compose or even notate music since around 1985.
- Many of the authors seem to consider ethnomusicology and ethnochoreology ‘scientific’ disciplines whose goal is to objectively record and notate music and dance genres.
- notator noun
- Example sentences
- Even a professional dance notator is unlikely to have a score of that particular production.
- There will be quite an entourage going to Prague: Caroline Palmer (notator), Bruce French, Mark Cooper (lighting designer) and myself.
- Conversely, the ‘performer’ will be able to generate a rough Labanotation score that can be refined by a notator.
Early 20th century: back-formation from notation.
Words that rhyme with notateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
Definition of notate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.