- A semiaquatic fossil carnivorous reptile of the Triassic period, having a slender body and long neck, related to the plesiosaurs.
More example sentences
- Infraorder Nothosauria, superorder Sauropterygia
- There were already air breathing reptiles in the sea in the form of plesiosaurs, nothosaurs, ichthyosaurs, you know, so that niche if you like was kind of locked off to them.
- The cousins of the Triassic nothosaurs, the long-necked plesiosauroids and short-necked pliosauroids, were also common.
- Plesiosaurs evolved from animals related to pachypleurosaurs and nothosaurs during the Middle Triassic.
1930s: from modern Latin Nothosauria, from Greek nothos 'false' + sauros 'lizard'.
More definitions of nothosaurDefinition of nothosaur in:
- The US English dictionary