An extinct hoofed mammal of a large and varied group that lived in South America throughout the Tertiary period, finally dying out in the Pleistocene.
- Order Notoungulata: many families
More example sentences
- Purely by way of example, the image at left shows the nomenclature used for notoungulates, an extinct group of ungulates endemic to the early Cenozoic of South America.
- That is, instead of the relatively orderly pattern of cusps possessed by most mammals, notoungulates have drawn out the cusps into long, messy arcs.
- The land bridge allowed the South American armadillo, porcupine, opossum, and ground sloths to colonize the north, as well as the unique South American notoungulates.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Notoungulata, from Greek notos 'south' + Latin ungula 'nail'.
More definitions of notoungulateDefinition of notoungulate in:
- The US English dictionary