The digit 0.
- When the money came through, I went to the cash machine, pressed that little button and saw all the noughts come up at the end.
- Smailes added: ‘It will add two or three noughts to the value of a painting.’
- In pre-euro days, Italians had little confidence in the lira - and no wonder, with all those absurd noughts that required a focusing of the eyes on the dinner bill.
nil, zero, 0;
Cricket a duck
variant spelling of naught.
- It is home where the criminal attitude of the children towards women could be prevented and thus the crimes against women in the future could be brought to nought.
- Their good work was set at nought a minute later when Kildare lost the ball in midfield and senior midfielder Martin McGrath raced through to stick the ball in the net four minutes from the interval.
- But the fact the Cowboys had never beaten the Broncos counted for nought last weekend.
nothing, nothing at all, naught;
no point, no purpose, no effect, no end result;
Northern English nowt
informal zilch, sweet Fanny Adams, sweet FA, not a dicky bird, nix
British informal damn all, not a sausage
North American informal zip, nada, a goose egg
British vulgar slang bugger all, fuck all, sod all
- Example sentences
- The house is filling up again - graduate students (myself included) returning for noughth week.
Words that rhyme with noughtabort, apport, assort, athwart, aught, besought, bethought, bort, bought, brought, caught, cavort, comport, consort, contort, Cort, court, distraught, escort, exhort, export, extort, fort, fought, fraught, import, methought, misreport, mort, naught, Oort, ought, outfought, port, Porte, purport, quart, rort, short, snort, sort, sought, sport, support, swart, taught, taut, thought, thwart, tort, transport, wart, wrought
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.