Definition of nouveau in English:
1 short for nouveau riche.
- Then there were the immeasurably proud nouveau landowners, to say nothing of former bankrupts turned CIPs (Commercially Important People, don't you know!).
- The writer at least showed the gumption to wander off the beaten path into the student bars which are a world apart from the nouveau / expat hangouts of Andrassy Street and where you'll get a much better idea of life here.
- One of the more noteworthy conflicts of the earlier series saw Ozzy and family tormenting the nouveau yuppies over the back fence for their appalling taste in music.
2Modern or up to date: nouveau wines
More example sentences
- Part of the latest wave of nouveau metal, Kittie adds special effects and sweet, melodic vocals to their intermittent Beelzebubbian snarls over grinding guitars which lead into lengthy, more downtempo, quasi-hip hop breakdowns.
- I believe Alanis changed her look and persona to boost flagging record sales and a Grammy snub in 2002, by embracing nouveau punk and releasing a pop radio friendly, non self-indulgent record that very year under a pseudonym.
- If you believe the Dutch filmmaker, his attempt at a nouveau MGM musical is rife with Christian mythology and subversive power struggles between Gina Gershon's character and Berkley.
Definition of nouveau in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.