- A grouping of French film directors in the late 1950s and 1960s who reacted against established French cinema and sought to make more individualistic and stylistically innovative films. Exponents included Claude Chabrol, Jean-Luc Godard, Alain Resnais, and François Truffaut.More example sentences
- I had to defend, you know, a lot of nouvelle vague films, and then Antonioni, and certain Hollywood directors, like, say, Aldrich.
- Woo was profoundly influenced by Hollywood classics, French nouvelle vague and politically engaged Japanese cinema.
- Expanding upon this unlikely image, Julie Perron constructs an engaging film about the visit of French nouvelle vague icon/iconoclast, Jean-Luc Godard, to a small town in Quebec.
French, literally 'new wave'.
More definitions of nouvelle vagueDefinition of nouvelle vague in:
- The US English dictionary