noun[treated as singular]
- The physics of atomic nuclei and their interactions, especially in the generation of nuclear energy.More example sentences
- He worked on atomic collisions, astrophysics, low-temperature physics, atomic and nuclear physics, thermodynamics, quantum electrodynamics, kinetic theory of gases, quantum field theory, and plasma physics.
- There are about a dozen quantities in atomic and nuclear physics that are fundamental to our current understanding of science.
- In the history of physics, for example, the discovery of isotopes by Frederick Soddy and Francis Aston is usually cast as part of a linear sequence of discoveries in atomic and nuclear physics.
More definitions of nuclear physicsDefinition of nuclear physics in:
- The US English dictionary