Definition of nucleosome in English:
A structural unit of a eukaryotic chromosome, consisting of a length of DNA coiled around a core of histones.
- Histone proteins are essential components of nucleosomes in eukaryotic chromosomes.
- The packaging of DNA with histones into nucleosomes and higher-order chromatin structures has profound effects on transcription initiation.
- DNA replication, like other DNA-dependent processes, must contend with the organization of DNA into nucleosomes and higher-order chromatin structures.
- 1nucleosomal adjective
- Example sentences
- The failure to recover mutations in genes encoding nucleosomal histones in this screen may be due to the presence of numerous copies of the histone gene cluster in flies.
- Histones are small basic proteins encoded by a multigene family and are responsible for the nucleosomal organization of chromatin in eukaryotes.
- In wild-type cells, the repressed state spreads unidirectionally through nucleosomal chromatin.
Definition of nucleosome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.