Definition of nucleosynthesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Astronomy
The cosmic formation of atoms more complex than the hydrogen atom.
- They more or less figured out the whole story, including predictions for primordial nucleosynthesis and the cosmic microwave background.
- Before nucleosynthesis begins, protons and neutrons are continually interconverting by means of weak nuclear interactions (the nuclear interactions are described in more detail a bit later on).
- Physicists call this process nucleosynthesis, and it had to occur before the structures we observed today, such as atoms and molecules, could exist.
- Example sentences
- Slightly elevated relative abundances of the heavy metals osmium through bismuth are related to their nuclear stability and nucleosynthetic processes, as are other second-order features of the abundance curve.
- They proposed eight main nucleosynthetic processes in star interiors, all starting from hydrogen.
Definition of nucleosynthesis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan