Definition of nucleosynthesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Astronomy
The cosmic formation of atoms more complex than the hydrogen atom.
- They more or less figured out the whole story, including predictions for primordial nucleosynthesis and the cosmic microwave background.
- Before nucleosynthesis begins, protons and neutrons are continually interconverting by means of weak nuclear interactions (the nuclear interactions are described in more detail a bit later on).
- Physicists call this process nucleosynthesis, and it had to occur before the structures we observed today, such as atoms and molecules, could exist.
- Example sentences
- Slightly elevated relative abundances of the heavy metals osmium through bismuth are related to their nuclear stability and nucleosynthetic processes, as are other second-order features of the abundance curve.
- They proposed eight main nucleosynthetic processes in star interiors, all starting from hydrogen.
Definition of nucleosynthesis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.