Definition of nuke in English:
A nuclear weapon.
- There's lots of data available online about suitcase nukes, and nuclear weapons generally.
- The United States is now considering developing a new generation of nuclear weapons, smart nukes which could be used to bust open bunkers and destroy weapons of mass destruction stockpiled by rogue states.
- It's always seemed to me that that likeliest scenario is a loose nuke or a dirty bomb in a shipping container.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Attack or destroy with nuclear weapons.
- We might stop an attack or two by nuking every Islamic city from Tangier to Islamabad - but, come morning, we'll have to look ourselves in the mirror.
- Consider the absurdity: We risk escalating a worldwide nuclear arms race to nuke a shadow terrorist enemy whose most effective military action to date was begun with box cutters.
- You said ‘send conventional troops that he can only repel with his nuclear weapons, which will cause us to nuke him’.
1.1chiefly North American Cook or heat up (food) in a microwave oven: I nuked a quick burger
More example sentences
- Unlike normal cooking, when food is nuked numerous chemical bonds are ruptured, leaving behind a trail of free radicals, ions, and other radiolytic byproducts.
- I really need to just shut off all the machines, nuke the leftover pizza and watch ‘Blind Date’ until my brains run out my nose.
- I got home, nuked yesterday's pizza, read the paper.
1950s: abbreviation of nuclear.
Words that rhyme with nukearchduke, chibouk, duke, Farouk, fluke, kook, Luke, peruke, puke, rebuke, Seljuk, snook, souk, spruik, stook, tuque, zouk
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.