Definition of number cruncher in English:
1A computer or program capable of performing rapid calculations with large amounts of data.
- But it's not so long since Intel wanted us all to see the 320-odd CPU Itanium 2-based number cruncher Toyota has put in place for the much the same applications.
- The classifier is the statistical core of Spambayes, the number cruncher.
- An immense network of 10,000 to 20,000 Alpha processors will form the basis of this formidable number cruncher.
2often derogatory A statistician, accountant, or other person whose job involves dealing with large amounts of numerical data.
- If a client's a number cruncher, I'll bring four people to a meeting, and my clients will feel like there are eight people back at the office working for them.
- Our expert number cruncher Charles Richardson takes you through the likely state by state outcomes from tomorrow's election and also finishes with a biting commentary on Australia's political leadership.
- Our expert number cruncher takes you through the likely state by state outcomes from tomorrow's election and also finishes with a biting commentary on Australia's political leadership.
- 1number crunching noun
- Example sentences
- After doing their own number crunching, Rupert Murdoch's rivals came to this conclusion: Americans prefer the Tom and Jerry-esque high jinks of clear cut villains and heroes to the more sedate format of word driven analysis.
- Furthermore, although factions generally use ideological labels to position themselves on a spectrum of sorts, the reality is that factional activities rarely extend much beyond simple number crunching.
- Share investors will have a deluge of international economic data to sift through this week and their reward for some number crunching could be the evidence they need to break the FTSE 100 out of its recent range.
Definition of number cruncher in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.