- 1(In rugby union) the forward at the back of the scrum.More example sentences
- Orrell struck back almost immediately and with Drew Hickey picking up at the back of a scrum, the number eight spun out of a tackle to claim a try.
- Manuel Dallan picked up the ball after Canada fluffed a scrum and popped it to the number eight to bundle his way over the line.
- They have a good number eight and a fly half who is one of the best goal kickers in the league.
- 2 [mass noun] NZ A wire of 4 mm gauge, used especially for fences: [as modifier]: number eight wireMore example sentences
- At that time, there were few public screening opportunities for the underdog, number eight wire, and independent music video.
- We have even heard it said that ‘the New Zealand pastime of inventing things with number eight wire and a four-by-two is a little romance that needs to be put to bed’.
- ‘We built it out of straw, number eight wire and papier mache,’ said Mr Mitchell.