Definition of numbers game in English:
1often derogatory The use or manipulation of statistics or figures, especially in support of an argument: MPs were today playing the numbers game as the vote drew closer
More example sentences
- People were playing numbers games by building flats but we are all about quality and good design.
- Jim McBride, chef de mission of the Irish team, tries to ensure the athletes know it is a numbers game without that message figuring too much in their preparations.
- You can play the numbers game - that vague statistic which says one in 10 people are gay or lesbian.
2 (also numbers pool or numbers racket) North American A lottery based on the occurrence of unpredictable numbers in the results of races, a lottery, etc.
- We can deal more effectively with drug dealers and organized crime figures that run lotteries and numbers rackets and things like that than with terrorists.
- When it was totally illegal, the Mafia ran prostitution and the numbers rackets right through Chicago and right through New York.
- It is not a crime to buy a lottery ticket, even in an illegal numbers games.
Definition of numbers game in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan