- 1often • derogatory The use or manipulation of statistics or figures, especially in support of an argument: MPs were today playing the numbers game as the vote drew closerMore example sentences
- People were playing numbers games by building flats but we are all about quality and good design.
- Jim McBride, chef de mission of the Irish team, tries to ensure the athletes know it is a numbers game without that message figuring too much in their preparations.
- You can play the numbers game - that vague statistic which says one in 10 people are gay or lesbian.
- 2 (also numbers pool or numbers racket) North American A lottery based on the occurrence of unpredictable numbers in the results of races, a lottery, etc..More example sentences
- We can deal more effectively with drug dealers and organized crime figures that run lotteries and numbers rackets and things like that than with terrorists.
- When it was totally illegal, the Mafia ran prostitution and the numbers rackets right through Chicago and right through New York.
- It is not a crime to buy a lottery ticket, even in an illegal numbers games.
More definitions of numbers gameDefinition of numbers game in:
- The US English dictionary