Definition of numerous in English:
1Great in number; many: she had complained to the council on numerous occasions
More example sentences
- The nominees are too numerous to mention - but you can see them all here.
- And of course television news is even worse, as numerous studies have shown.
- Productivity is notoriously difficult to measure, as numerous studies have found.
several, quite a few, various, diverse;
a great number of, a great deal of, plenty of, copious, a quantity of, quantities of, an abundance of, a profusion of, a multitude of;
informal lots of, umpteen, loads of, masses of, stacks of, heaps of, piles of, bags of, tons of, oodles of, scads of, dozens of, hundreds of, thousands of, millions of, billions of, zillions of, more … than one can shake a stick at
British informal a shedload of
North American informal a slew of, a bunch of, gazillions of, bazillions of
Australian/New Zealand informal a swag of
vulgar slang a shitload of
literary myriad, multitudinous
Late Middle English: from Latin numerosus, from numerus 'a number'.
- Example sentences
- One of the reasons offered for chess clubs not being more numerously attended is the fact that the clubs were situated in the heart of town and the majority of players in the suburbs.
- There is scarcely a part of the county without a school, which in summer is numerously attended.
- Our prayer meetings were more numerously attended twenty years ago and fifteen years ago than they are now.
- Example sentences
- It's nothing like American hip-hop with its self-attitude so blatantly compressed into a track that works as one sound machine; here we have strands of sound that in their numerousness defy each other's full presence as ‘hip-hop.’
- Hourglass repeats this brushwork in more, colors, including green and lavender, and with shorter, thinner strokes that in their numerousness convey a feeling of frenzy that's amplified by the uneven diagonal sides of the canvases.
- I wonder whether the widely-presupposed centrality of snow in Inuit culture might be just as exaggerated as the widely-asserted numerousness of their snow words.
Words that rhyme with numeroushumerus, humorous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan