plural noun[usually treated as singular]
The study or collection of coins, banknotes, and medals.
- It has four boats and employs 60 divers, whose skills include archaeology, history, epigraphy (the study of inscriptions) and numismatics (the study of coins).
- The numismatics gallery has coins collected from as many as 60 countries.
- Studying Thai numismatics it became apparent that there was a very significant event in Thai coin history in the mid 1800's.
- Example sentences
- The appearance of From Imperium to Auctoritas established Grant's credentials as a Roman numismatist; five more numismatic volumes would follow in the 1950's.
- The Baptist Church minister, Rev T Sorenson, said local numismatists thought the coins were worth up to R10000.
- The collection of coins will no doubt be a great attraction to numismatists, as they include some rare golden specimens from the reigns of George 1,111, and 1V, and there are some scarce silver coins.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: nu¦mis|mat¦ics
Definition of numismatics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.