Definition of nursemaid in English:
A woman or girl employed to look after a young child or children.
- Then she looked the young nursemaid straight in the eye.
- A young nursemaid came forward with two sleeping babies, one only a few months old, the other almost a year.
- Anne moved closer to Amelia, feeling like a little girl again as she nearly clutched her nursemaid's skirts.
verb[with object] Back to top
Look after or be overprotective towards: I haven’t got time to nursemaid you through these problems
More example sentences
- His family have nursemaided him over the last few days.
- Poor Chihirae had her classes to attend, as well as nursemaiding me and that can't have been a pleasant job: bedridden, I couldn't use the toilet, I couldn't wash myself, couldn't feed myself.
- Kubrick had been nursemaiding this project along for almost two decades, awaiting the time when technology could produce visual effects at the level demanded by his perfectionism.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.