Definition of nursemaid in English:
A woman or girl employed to look after a young child or children.
- Then she looked the young nursemaid straight in the eye.
- A young nursemaid came forward with two sleeping babies, one only a few months old, the other almost a year.
- Anne moved closer to Amelia, feeling like a little girl again as she nearly clutched her nursemaid's skirts.
verb[with object] Back to top
Look after or be overprotective towards: I haven’t got time to nursemaid you through these problems
More example sentences
- His family have nursemaided him over the last few days.
- Poor Chihirae had her classes to attend, as well as nursemaiding me and that can't have been a pleasant job: bedridden, I couldn't use the toilet, I couldn't wash myself, couldn't feed myself.
- Kubrick had been nursemaiding this project along for almost two decades, awaiting the time when technology could produce visual effects at the level demanded by his perfectionism.