A small songbird with a stiffened tail, which climbs up and down tree trunks and feeds on nuts, seeds, and insects.
- Family Sittidae and genus Sitta: several species, including the widespread (Eurasian) nuthatch (S. europaea), with a grey back, black eyestripe, and white or buff underparts
More example sentences
- Although cardinals, chickadees, titmice, blue jays, nuthatches and finches will eat the large striped sunflower seed, there is much less waste and a bit more nutrition in the small, oil type.
- Plenty of birds of winter still mob Ann's bird feeders; chickadees, juncos, sparrows, woodpeckers, nuthatches, goldfinch, and doves are in no short supply.
- They have disappeared from our view, as have bullfinches and tree sparrows, nuthatches and marsh tits.
Definition of nuthatch in:
- The US English dictionary