Definition of nutmeg in English:
1The hard, aromatic, almost spherical seed of a tropical tree.
- Underneath that is a beautiful red, lacy layer of aril - also called mace blades - that cling to the thin, hard shell surrounding the nutmeg.
- The stone is the size of a nutmeg and has a hard, black case, sometimes thick, sometimes thin.
- The nutmeg is the seed of the Indonesian Myristica fragrans whose small yellow flowers develop into a fleshy, scarlet fruit enclosing the meg.
1.1 [mass noun] Nutmegs grated and used as a spice: hot milk flavoured with nutmeg
More example sentences
- In the garden they grew cardamom, turmeric, curry leaves and pepper as well as imported ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, chillies, vanilla, cumin and coriander.
- Four spice is a ground spice mixture usually containing white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon or cloves.
- Modern haggis generally has beef suet rather than mutton fat, and cayenne pepper or nutmeg are usual additions.
2The evergreen tree that bears nutmegs, native to the Moluccas.
- Myristica fragrans, family Myristicaceae
- We emerged into the country to find ourselves amid an open expanse of coconut palms, interspersed with the odd clove and nutmeg tree, banana palm and cinnamon bush.
- This is cardamom country, nutmeg too, where spices grow along the roadside, and where pepper vines wind their tendrils around banana palms and over camellia bushes.
- Nutmeg, another mystical tree from the Spice Islands, gets the oils distilled from the kernels of its fruits - the nutmeg itself.
3 Soccer , informal An instance of playing the ball through an opponent’s legs.
[Extended use of obsolete nutmegs 'testicles']
- The nutmeg as Mills tried to shield the ball at the corner flag was a sublime example of justified arrogance.
- The highlights were a nutmeg on the byline, and a blistering run down the wing that left Cole for dead - his cross nearly brought a second goal.
- ‘I'm embarrassed for these idiot American newspapermen who don't know anything about football, or what a nutmeg is,’ Mike Manley.
verb (nutmegs, nutmegging, nutmegged)[with object] Soccer , informal Back to top
Play the ball through the legs of (an opponent): Brady drifted past three defenders, nutmegging the third with ease
More example sentences
- How did you feel when Henry nutmegged you by the corner flag?
- He sped down the flank, nutmegging Robertson and Brown, cut inside and gave the ball back to Lynch for a regulation tap-in.
- Next up McFadden, nutmegging Simon Mensing and winning a free-kick.
Words that rhyme with nutmegforeleg • Oleg • bootleg
Definition of nutmeg in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan