Definition of nutmeg in English:
1The hard, aromatic, almost spherical seed of a tropical tree.
- Underneath that is a beautiful red, lacy layer of aril - also called mace blades - that cling to the thin, hard shell surrounding the nutmeg.
- The stone is the size of a nutmeg and has a hard, black case, sometimes thick, sometimes thin.
- The nutmeg is the seed of the Indonesian Myristica fragrans whose small yellow flowers develop into a fleshy, scarlet fruit enclosing the meg.
1.1 [mass noun] Nutmegs grated and used as a spice: hot milk flavoured with nutmeg
More example sentences
- In the garden they grew cardamom, turmeric, curry leaves and pepper as well as imported ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, chillies, vanilla, cumin and coriander.
- Four spice is a ground spice mixture usually containing white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon or cloves.
- Modern haggis generally has beef suet rather than mutton fat, and cayenne pepper or nutmeg are usual additions.
2The evergreen tree that bears nutmegs, native to the Moluccas.
- Myristica fragrans, family Myristicaceae
- We emerged into the country to find ourselves amid an open expanse of coconut palms, interspersed with the odd clove and nutmeg tree, banana palm and cinnamon bush.
- This is cardamom country, nutmeg too, where spices grow along the roadside, and where pepper vines wind their tendrils around banana palms and over camellia bushes.
- Nutmeg, another mystical tree from the Spice Islands, gets the oils distilled from the kernels of its fruits - the nutmeg itself.
3 Soccer , informal An instance of playing the ball through an opponent’s legs.
[Extended use of obsolete nutmegs 'testicles']
- The nutmeg as Mills tried to shield the ball at the corner flag was a sublime example of justified arrogance.
- The highlights were a nutmeg on the byline, and a blistering run down the wing that left Cole for dead - his cross nearly brought a second goal.
- ‘I'm embarrassed for these idiot American newspapermen who don't know anything about football, or what a nutmeg is,’ Mike Manley.
verb (nutmegs, nutmegging, nutmegged)[with object] Soccer , informal Back to top
Play the ball through the legs of (an opponent): Brady drifted past three defenders, nutmegging the third with ease
More example sentences
- How did you feel when Henry nutmegged you by the corner flag?
- He sped down the flank, nutmegging Robertson and Brown, cut inside and gave the ball back to Lynch for a regulation tap-in.
- Next up McFadden, nutmegging Simon Mensing and winning a free-kick.
Words that rhyme with nutmegforeleg • Oleg • bootleg
Definition of nutmeg in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.