- A substance that provides nourishment essential for the maintenance of life and for growth: fish is a source of many important nutrients, including protein, vitamins, and mineralsMore example sentences
- The high moisture content and nutrients in cooked food make this growth possible.
- The Directive will limit the allowed doses of nutrients, initially vitamins and minerals.
- Nitrogen has a favourable position among the essential nutrients in soil.
mid 17th century: from Latin nutrient- 'nourishing', from the verb nutrire.
More definitions of nutrientDefinition of nutrient in:
- The US English dictionary