noun (plural same)
A southern African antelope, which has a conspicuous crest on the neck and back and lyre-shaped horns.
- Tragelaphus angasi, family Bovidae
More example sentences
- Other animal species to look out for include impala, blue wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, nyala, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, cheetah, hyena, jackal and giraffe.
- There are three easy-to-see, endemic, large mammals: the mountain nyala, Ethiopian wolf and gelada baboon.
- Nearby, groups of wildebeest, nyala antelope and zebra milled about their cages and enormous white rhinos rested on their sides in their long pens.
late 19th century: from Zulu.
Definition of nyala in:
- The US English dictionary