- 1A tough, lightweight, elastic synthetic polymer with a protein-like chemical structure, able to be produced as filaments, sheets, or moulded objects.More example sentences
- The resulting hydrogenated compounds are starting materials for nylon and polyester intermediates.
- For example, consider the production of adipic acid, which is used to manufacture nylon 6,6.
- Nylon is one of the most common polymers used as a fiber.
- 1.1Fabric or yarn made from nylon fibres: the tent is made of blue nylon [as modifier]: nylon carpetMore example sentences
- They found these blue and gray nylon fibers in Westerfield's home and two dozen of them in and around her body.
- The fuel cells in the tanker are made of nylon fabric less than one-sixteenth of an inch thick.
- The inquest heard that the blue nylon rope had been woven through the loops of a trellis attached to a gazebo rather than tied.
- 1.2 (nylons) Stockings or tights made of nylon: a pair of nylonsMore example sentences
- I turned her on to nylons, garters, corsets, mini-skirts.
- The garbage bag also contained underwear, socks and nylons.
- Heidi suggested using a pair of tights or nylons, but I used my non-terrycloth kitchen towel with a cheesy Montmartre pattern on it, thinking it would be most appropriate.
1930s: an invented word, on the pattern of cotton and rayon.
More definitions of nylonDefinition of nylon in:
- The US English dictionary