noun (plural nymphaea)
- A grotto or shrine dedicated to a nymph or nymphs.More example sentences
- The spring itself, the pool into which it drains, and the nymphaeum dedicated to the Imperial Cult are essentially as they were in the Roman period, though remodelled by Mareschal.
- Until the mid-1st century ad, these were used almost exclusively in fountains and nymphaea, or grottoes, which acted as cool retreats and so had a place in almost every villa.
- I would have liked a model of the room with couches and diners in place, showing just how they looked and what they were looking at: both the mosaics on the floor and the view out to the nymphaeum.
via Latin from Greek.
More definitions of nymphaeumDefinition of nymphaeum in:
- The US English dictionary