- An insect of a large family of strikingly marked butterflies which have small forelegs that are not used for walking, including many familiar butterflies of temperate regions. Compare with vanessid.
More example sentences
- Family Nymphalidae (sometimes restricted to those that are now usually placed in the subfamily Nymphalinae)
- Our work includes representative taxa from all the main lineages of riodinids, lycaenids, and nymphalids.
- Furthermore, these gene duplications evolved after the split between the common ancestor of nymphalid and papilionid butterflies.
- Like many nymphalid, papilionid, and hesperiid butterflies, male H. bolina occupy and defend perching sites in forest clearings and along flight paths as a means of maximizing their encounters with receptive females.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Nymphalidae, from Latin nympha 'nymph'.
More definitions of nymphalidDefinition of nymphalid in:
- The US English dictionary