noun (plural same or oarfishes)
A very long, narrow silvery marine fish of deep water, with a deep red dorsal fin running the length of the body. Also called ribbonfish, king of the herrings.
- Regalecus glesne, family Regalecidae
More example sentences
- Working from a duplicate slide, he identified the fish as the oarfish noting, however, that the head appeared more blunt than in existing illustrations.
- They may be explained, rationally, as giant turtles, giant squid, or the large sunfish or oarfish that bask on the surface of the water.
- The Oarfish is reported to be the longest of all fishes.
Definition of oarfish in:
- The US English dictionary