noun[mass noun] Geology
The sideways and upwards movement of the edge of a crustal plate over the margin of an adjacent plate: the granitic magmas formed when the ophiolite complex was obducted onto the continental margin
More example sentences
- The Papua New Guinea continental crust appears to be underthrusting the adjacent marginal basin and obduction of the ophiolite is occurring in an uphill direction.
- During the Cretaceous, however, an ocean basin existed in this area, either as a remnant ocean that had escaped Jurassic obduction or as a small Cretaceous pull-apart basin.
- Late Cretaceous obduction of ophiolite complexes onto the Indian shield has also been reported from Pakistan.
- Example sentences
- Early Cretaceous back-arc spreading in southern Patagonia was also sufficient to create new ocean floor, which was subsequently obducted in the Middle Cretaceous, forming the Rocas Verdes Ophiolite.
- It is proposed that the Sogneskollen Granitic Complex formed when young and hot oceanic crust was obducted above the continental margin.
- The suture lies along the line of the South Mayo-Highland Border ophiolites that were obducted onto the northern edge of the Midland Valley Terrane.
1970s: from Latin obduct- 'covered over', from the verb obducere, from ob- 'against, towards' + ducere 'to lead'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ob|duc¦tion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.