Definition of obituary in English:
noun (plural obituaries)
A notice of a death, especially in a newspaper, typically including a brief biography of the deceased person: his obituary of Samuel Beckett [as modifier]: an obituary notice figurative it is premature to write the obituary of British science
More example sentences
- Every day that passes sees the obituary columns of broadsheet newspapers bring us more examples.
- Everyone knows that major newspapers hold obituaries written well in advance of the deaths of notable people.
- The Warwickshire captain is used to reading his obituary notice in the columns of the national newspapers.
- Example sentences
- Most obituarists prefer the airbrush to the sharpened pen when it comes to the famous and powerful.
- He was an occasional obituarist for The Independent and The Guardian and a contributor to the New Dictionary of National Biography.
- We cannot control what other's write about us, and today's critic may be tomorrow's biographer and obituarist.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia