The back of the head.
- The helmet alleviates the pressure on the flattened area of the occiput and allows the skull to grow faster in the desired directions.
- At surgery, there was a significant deformity of the cranial vault at the level of the occiput and first and second cervical vertebrae.
- The supraoccipital is essentially an unpaired dermal bone of the occiput.
- Example sentences
- The choroid plexus does not extend into the frontal and occipital horns of the lateral ventricles.
- One foramen transmits a vein to the superior sagittal sinus and a small branch of the occipital artery to the dura mater.
- Almost 2 years after his transplant he presented with an occipital subcutaneous myeloid sarcoma.
Late Middle English: from Latin occiput, from ob- 'against' + caput 'head'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: oc¦ci|put
Definition of occiput in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.