- The relatively thin part of the earth’s crust which underlies the ocean basins. It is geologically young compared with the continental crust and consists of basaltic rock overlain by sediments.More example sentences
- In contrast to the continental crust, the oceanic crust is young, thin, and chemically magnesium-rich.
- Enormous pressures are produced in this region, for the continental crust and the oceanic crust are moving toward each other.
- The continental slope connects the continental shelf and the oceanic crust.
More definitions of oceanic crustDefinition of oceanic crust in:
- The US English dictionary