noun (plural ocotillos)chiefly US
- A spiny scarlet-flowered desert shrub of the south-western US and Mexico, which is sometimes planted as a hedge.
More example sentences
- Fouquieria splendens, family Fouquieriaceae
- Yet in another area hit by a recent heavy rain, the ironwood trees and the spiny ocotillos are flush with new green leaves.
- You'll traverse a series of high valleys, ravines, and washes filled with a variety of plants, including purple barrel cactus and stands of ocotillos.
- The most common shrubs are creosote bush, ocotillo, and bur sage.
mid 19th century: via American Spanish (diminutive form) from Nahuatl ocotl 'torch'.
More definitions of ocotilloDefinition of ocotillo in:
- The US English dictionary