(also octane rating)
- A figure indicating the anti-knock properties of a fuel, based on a comparison with a mixture of isooctane and heptane.More example sentences
- In particular, the formation of branched alkanes increases the octane number and combustibility of the resulting hydrocarbon.
- Using a fuel of a higher octane rating than that recommended for your car doesn't improve its performance.
- The higher the octane number you see on a gas pump, the more the fuel can be compressed before it explodes.
More definitions of octane numberDefinition of octane number in:
- The US English dictionary