noun (plural octavos)
- 1A size of book page that results from folding each printed sheet into eight leaves (sixteen pages): foolscap octavo three octavo volumesMore example sentences
- Folded one more time, the sheet produces a book-sized format call an octavo.
- Faulkner's monument is the edition of Swift's Works issued in twenty octavo volumes in 1772.
- The first number of the Boston Journal of Natural History appeared in 1834 and continued through seven octavo volumes until it was declared complete in 1863.
- 1.1A book of octavo size.More example sentences
- The five volumes consisted of an octavo of 786 pages of descriptive matter and four imperial folios containing 213 plates.
late 16th century: from Latin in octavo 'in an eighth', from octavus 'eighth'.
More definitions of octavoDefinition of octavo in:
- The US English dictionary