noun (plural octrois)
- A duty levied in some countries on various goods entering a town or city.More example sentences
- Feng applied for control of the octroi levied on goods entering Beijing.
- It was later found that the proposal would merely save the Parwanoo-based industrialists their octroi duty at the state's barrier.
- Other indirect taxes were the ferme de l'equivalent and various municipal octrois.
late 16th century: from French octroyer 'to grant', based on medieval Latin auctorizare (see authorize). Current senses date from the early 18th century.
More definitions of octroiDefinition of octroi in:
- The US English dictionary