Definition of odalisque in English:
1A female slave or concubine in a harem, especially one in the seraglio of the Sultan of Turkey.
- But so gaudy a style made her look like a pampered odalisque rather than the mother of the future king.
- In 1992 it closed, and now it's full of clove smoke and odalisques.
- Fantasies of decadent odalisques can be dismissed, the harem was essentially the domain of the first wife and a power base for women.
1.1An exotic, sexually attractive woman: you do not have to learn to paint an odalisque like Matisse
More example sentences
- Here we saw that the tradition of the odalisque could be painted in Native American as well as Middle Eastern guise.
- Rabinyan presents us with a world in which Persian odalisques lie wistfully, like tantalising fruit, where a certain lyricism pervades the air.
- His Grande odalisque, with her soft, curving body and dream-like face, bewildered critics at the Salon of 1819.
Definition of odalisque in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan