- 1A female slave or concubine in a harem, especially one in the seraglio of the Sultan of Turkey.More example sentences
- But so gaudy a style made her look like a pampered odalisque rather than the mother of the future king.
- In 1992 it closed, and now it's full of clove smoke and odalisques.
- Fantasies of decadent odalisques can be dismissed, the harem was essentially the domain of the first wife and a power base for women.
- 1.1An exotic, sexually attractive woman: you do not have to learn to paint an odalisque like MatisseMore example sentences
- Here we saw that the tradition of the odalisque could be painted in Native American as well as Middle Eastern guise.
- Rabinyan presents us with a world in which Persian odalisques lie wistfully, like tantalising fruit, where a certain lyricism pervades the air.
- His Grande odalisque, with her soft, curving body and dream-like face, bewildered critics at the Salon of 1819.
late 17th century: from French, from Turkish odalik, from oda 'chamber' + lik 'function'.
More definitions of odalisqueDefinition of odalisque in:
- The US English dictionary