(also odontoid process)
- A projection from the second cervical vertebra (axis) on which the first (atlas) can pivot: [as modifier]: the anterior odontoid jointMore example sentences
- The axis possesses an ovate odontoid process for articulation with the preceding atlas.
- One of the serious complications of RA result from involvement of the synovium around the odontoid process.
- Some months ago a less than dramatic surfing accident left me with an odontoid fracture and an abrupt suspension of my life as a research paediatrician in the Gambia.
early 19th century: from Greek odontoeidēs, from odous, odont- 'tooth' + eidos 'form'.
More definitions of odontoidDefinition of odontoid in:
- The US English dictionary