- A substance used to give a particular odour to a product.More example sentences
- She said it was particularly intriguing that odorants with related chemical structures showed highly similar patterns of activation in the cortex.
- For virtually all animals, behavioral responses to odorants are essential for food localization, avoidance of noxious agents, and selection of reproductive partners.
- They used four odorants: chocolate odor represented a food odor, and lavender represented a non-food odor that was similarly pleasant as chocolate.
late Middle English (as an adjective in the sense 'odorous'): from Old French, present participle of odorer, from Latin odorare 'give an odour to'. The current sense dates from the 1940s.
More definitions of odorantDefinition of odorant in:
- The US English dictionary