A condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body. Also called dropsy1.
More example sentences
- Seven children died from illness or injury without oedema, three in the antioxidant supplement group and four in the placebo group.
- Muscles waste away; oedema and accumulation of fluid in body cavities follows depletion of plasma proteins.
- This is not easy, as too little fluid will cause hypoperfusion whereas too much will lead to oedema that will cause tissue hypoxia.
- More example sentences
- The breast skin overlying the lesion was erythematous and edematous.
- The fragments were edematous with focal fibrosis.
- When these lesions were stroked, they became red, edematous, and pruritic, and some formed blisters.
Definition of oedema in:
- The US English dictionary