Definition of oesophagus in English:
noun (plural oesophagi ɪˈsɒfədʒʌɪ or oesophaguses)
The part of the alimentary canal which connects the throat to the stomach. In humans and other vertebrates it is a muscular tube lined with mucous membrane.
- Inlet patch is a congenital anomaly of the cervical esophagus consisting of gastric mucosa.
- Tables are not used in the sections for the esophagus and the small intestine.
- It happens when acid from your stomach leaks back up through your oesophagus and throat.
- Example sentences
- No constant relationship of the esophageal arteries to the vagus nerve was noted.
- Endoscopy showed normal oesophageal mucosa with increased oesophageal contractions.
- This striated muscle, which is the upper esophageal sphincter, joins the ends of the cricoid cartilage.
Definition of oesophagus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.