Definition of oestrus in English:
A recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat: a mare in oestrus
More example sentences
- ‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.
- Judging from mating rate, I found that female topi antelopes in estrus preferred lek males to resource defenders.
- A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.
late 17th century: from Greek oistros 'gadfly or frenzy'.
- Example sentences
- In contrast, it is proposed that estrous females on lek easily escape harassment by switching between the small territories.
- Social rank then determines access to estrous ewes during the rut.
- To assess whether shadowing was linked to estrus, we required an estimate of the likely estrous period for females.
Definition of oestrus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia