Definition of off-gas in English:
A gas which is given off, especially one emitted as the by-product of a chemical process.
- In conjunction with the new smelting configuration, an Acid Plant would be constructed to convert the off-gas into sulphuric acid that can be used in metallurgical leach projects.
- In any event the plant design includes highly efficient dust filter plants at a cost of some N $26 million to capture furnace off-gases and dust.
- A lot of materials actually give off gas, and that gas can be toxic, and by selecting the right carpets the right sort of paints, we have used ones that don't give off toxic off-gases.
verb[no object] Back to top
Give off a chemical, especially a harmful one, in the form of a gas: soft plastics are potentially more harmful, since they may off-gas into stored foods
More example sentences
- This works pretty well but whatever chemical is in the drycleaning cloth you use will off-gas from your clothes like crazy for a day or two.
- But even after that, the plywood or particleboard under the veneer will continue to off-gas for several more years.
- Many of these compounds continue to off-gas well after installation and are contributors to poor indoor air quality.
Definition of off-gas in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.