Definition of off-kilter in English:
1Not aligned or balanced.
- The color balance is off-kilter something fierce, veering heavily toward the red pole of the spectrum.
- If the balances of Mariam seem slightly off-kilter by present-day aesthetic standards, they nonetheless reflect the genuine intellectual concerns of its author and her potential audience.
- And this is a woman who champions the fashionable mantra of work-life balance; evidently something is off-kilter.
1.1 [as adjective] Unconventional or eccentric: an off-kilter comedy about living in mud
More example sentences
- The band has attracted national attention with its off-kilter performances and unconventional choice of instruments.
- To balance the off-kilter timeline and the over the top story, the sets, locations, and even the methods of shooting are often copies of something done in another film.
- The beauty of the band is their counterintuitive knack for balancing off-kilter musicianship with catchy hooks and chugging beats.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia