1Not aligned or balanced.
- The color balance is off-kilter something fierce, veering heavily toward the red pole of the spectrum.
- If the balances of Mariam seem slightly off-kilter by present-day aesthetic standards, they nonetheless reflect the genuine intellectual concerns of its author and her potential audience.
- And this is a woman who champions the fashionable mantra of work-life balance; evidently something is off-kilter.
1.1 [as adjective] Unconventional or eccentric: an off-kilter comedy about living in mud
More example sentences
- The band has attracted national attention with its off-kilter performances and unconventional choice of instruments.
- To balance the off-kilter timeline and the over the top story, the sets, locations, and even the methods of shooting are often copies of something done in another film.
- The beauty of the band is their counterintuitive knack for balancing off-kilter musicianship with catchy hooks and chugging beats.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: off-kilter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.