Definition of off-putting in English:
Unpleasant, disconcerting, or repellent: his scar is somewhat off-putting
More example sentences
- At first sight, the law may seem obscure, complex and horribly off-putting for the ordinary man or woman.
- Given how the brain perceives motion, randomly moving balloons aren't very off-putting.
- If parking is too short-term or too expensive people won't have sufficient time to shop or will find the additional cost off-putting.
unpleasant, unappealing, uninviting, unattractive, disagreeable, offensive, distasteful, unsavoury, unpalatable, unappetizing, objectionable, nasty, disgusting, obnoxious, repellent;
discouraging, disheartening, demoralizing, dispiriting, daunting, dismaying, forbidding, intimidating, frightening, formidable
- Example sentences
- While no one disputes his ability to lift 900 pounds, some have found his performance refreshingly unpracticed, others off-puttingly amateurish.
- The dressing on the Caesar salad was off-puttingly sweet.
- I just did a reading for about 650 people, half of whom were, rather off-puttingly, in another room watching me on a big screen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan