Definition of off year in English:
1A year in which there is no major election, especially one in which there is a Congressional election but no Presidential election.
- After sustaining a political high for much of 2004, those who crave the adrenaline of campaign season may dread the election doldrums of an off year.
- In all the elections in these off years, politicians and consultants like to look and see what the leading indicators will be.
- ‘Even in an off year there's going to be elections like these that we need to focus on,’ Gross said.
2A year that is inferior or substandard compared to previous ones: he roared back last season from an off year during which he was plagued by injuries
More example sentences
- In the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, we again had another off year, not winning any medals although performing creditably.
- Gonzalez's injury-plagued off year and his lack of dependability could make him a potential bargain now that he has sabotaged much of his contract leverage.
- The margin was partly attributable to Sosa's off year and the team's struggles at third base until Ramirez's arrival in July.
Definition of off year in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.