- The formal and typically verbose style of writing considered to be characteristic of official documents, especially when it is difficult to understand.More example sentences
- In 1979, taking a different tack, Plain English Campaign publicly destroyed government forms as the opening move in a crusade against officialese and obfuscation.
- I'm thinking, for example, of so-called legalese and officialese - sentences like ‘We are in receipt of your communication of 12 inst. and wish to convey our most sincere gratitude for same.’
- His letter is expressed in his own language, and not in officialese, but to my mind it is clearly a formal request to carry out the works referred to.
More definitions of officialeseDefinition of officialese in:
- The US English dictionary