- The more distant part of the sea in view.More example sentences
- We came past the island two days later and gave it an offing of over a mile compared to our usual half mile, with nothing to be seen, felt or smelt.
in the offing
- Likely to happen or appear soon: there are several initiatives in the offingMore example sentences
- Now, with Berry's inquiry in the offing, it is likely to resonate with a much wider audience.
- We could not approach industry for substantive new funding with the minister's initiative in the offing.
- Now there appears to be a savage credit crunch in the offing, and nobody seems to even notice.